ABOUT SHOSEIKAN AND SEKISHINKAI
All-Japan Shoseikan Karate-do was founded by our Kancho (Chief Master), Katsutoshi Ishihara, in Chiba-Prefecture of Japan in 1968. Since 1971, Kancho Ishihara has traveled around the world to promote Shoseikan and Goju-Ryu Karate-do. As a result, World Shoseikan Karate (WSK) was formed and assisting the worldwide Karate development. Currently, we have over 50 Shibu Dojo in Japan, Canada, USA, India, Pondicherry, Chennai, Dubai and England.
In 2006, the first Dojo of Canada Shoseikan was established in Vancouver, BC by the Chief Instructor, Shihan Henry Chan (6th Dan). Shihan Chan is the direct student of Kancho Ishihara (9th Dan). With the spirit and knowledge from Kancho Ishihara, Shihan Chan aims to promote Goju-Ryu Karate and Shoseikan spirit in Canada.
In 2019, the Covid-19 has spread around the world. Our dojo has stopped and switched to online training temporary. In 2021, we resumed the dojo training and have applied a new name called "Sekishinkai". The "Seki" means warm, and "Shin" means "heart". When both words combined together the "Seki-shin", means "a pure and genuine heart as it was born". We hope that our Karate spirit continues with a warm heart in WSK Sekishinkai Karate-do.
OUR GOAL & MISSION STATEMENT
Sekishinkai Karate is proud to announce that all of its instructors are NCCP certified. National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) is the recognized national standard for certification in 65 different sports including Karate. Our aim is to continually provide our instructors the tools to deliver a Karate program of the highest caliber. Our Mission Statement is:
(1) To teach and promote traditional Japan Goju-Ryu Karate at the highest level of skill and technique.
(2) To guide our member to adhere to the principles of accomplishments, in order to achieve fitness, confident, values of respect, harmony, discipline and responsibility, and strive for the perfection of character.
(3) To assist our member to achieve their best under a safe, friendly and encouraging training environment.
Sekishinkai Karate is:
(1) Member of World Shoseikan Karate-do (WSK)
(2) associated and recognized by All-Japan Karate Federation Goju-Kai
(3) registered member of Karate BC
(4) affiliated with Karate Canada
(5) affiliated the standard of World Karate Federation (WKF)
(6) certified by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
(7) registered member of Coaches Association of BC (CABC)
Karate BC, the sport governing body for Karate recognized and funded by the Provincial Government, is the provincial affiliate of Karate Canada, the sport governing body for Karate in Canada. Karate Canada is the Canadian representative in the World Karate Federation (WKF) the international sport governing body for Karate recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
PRINCIPLE OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- To be proud studying the way of Goju
- To honor the principle of etiquette
- To develop a solid body, good health and a strong mind
- To foster the spirit of effort and teamwork
- To respect the traditional spirit to the ancient martial art of Japan